Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hummingbirds and Dragonflys!

I left to warm myself on the back porch and watch the hummingbirds. I cleaned and filled the feeder, and Langdon rehung it-brain tumors prohibit climbing and dangling from a log porch post-unless I want to land in the flower bed, of course.

I refilled my cup with the last of the coffee and grabbed my pimped out cane and headed to the porch. I set down my cup and turned my head only to be staring at Mr. or Mrs. hummingbird staring at me! I slowly back into my chair, it's actually Lila's chair, but that's another story...

So, the hummingbirds feed and I sip...they rest on the electrical wire that runs to the shop, and they SPIT! Yes, they spit...it shoots in a stream! I guess they eat as much as they can hold and then spit out the excess!

About two minutes later this huge bright blue dragon fly enters the vicinity and both hummingbirds are intimidated by it...they slide down the wire using their tiny little feet, they fly away and come back angry, they are chattering away! Mr. Dragonfly is not impressed and simply stretches his wings out to dry in the breeze and sunshine!

The hummingbirds by this time are quite angry that Mr. Dragonfly has entered their feeding area and start flying at him and then swerving when they get close. He stretched again then seemed to arch his body.

After about three or four of these "scares" the hummingbirds flew to the orchard area and Mr. Dragonfly flew away.

It didn't take long for the hummingbirds to return (I think they were watching). I sat there watching them resume their feeding and they chattered at me as if it was my fault their meal was interrupted!

Must go research now!

No comments: